08 Sep Creating a dental first aid kit
The most common dental problems—tooth decay and periodontal disease—develop gradually, and should be treated under the supervision of your dentist. But a few supplies are worth having on hand in case of a dental emergency. These include:
- Table salt or baking soda to dissolve in warm water as a soothing mouthwash.
- Ice to relieve pain and swelling.
- An over-the-counter topical anesthetic ointment or liquid such as Anbesol or Orajel to apply to mouth sores.
- A mild pain reliever such as aspirin or acetaminophen.
- Sterile gauze pads to control bleeding.
- A small quantity of dental wax. Your dentist can supply you with this soft, easily shaped material, which can cover protruding parts of braces, prevent irritation from a damaged prosthetic bridge, or placed temporarily over a broken tooth to help prevent irritation and contamination of the dentin and pulp.
Another important resource to have on hand is the emergency telephone number of your dentist, as well as the nearest hospital emergency room.
Need a family dentist in NYC? Here at Dental Partners of Fifth we’re here to help with all you dentistry needs!